Monday, April 22, 2024

Death Battle Retrospective: Finale

 

I would definitely say I have a lot of complex feelings having written out my experience with Death Battles fandom over the years. Ngl there's a lot of “bad” things that have happened. From seeing others get bullied or harassed over silly vs opinions, the general meltdowns over outcomes, or being exposed to the personalities of some pretty awful people, etc. In general there’s also just a fair amount of fans that just seemed to care more about the “show” than the well being of the people making it.


Still I’m still fairly happy that I got involved with the fandom when I did. I would say that I didn’t have many friends IRL back at that time, so having people to talk to about general interests, even virtually, was nice. There's still a lot of the people I met back on Screwattack 10 years ago that I still speak to regularly, which is more than I can say for 99% of anyone I knew from high school. 


And I do still enjoy analyzing characters and seeing them come to life in animations, even if I think the community takes it too seriously at times. I look back at Miles vs Static and realize, WOW I did something that was seen by millions of people. How many people can claim that? It does suck when people freak out over an episode, but it’s also a great feeling when they enjoy it too. Honestly I just look at Goku vs Superman 3 and think that one episode makes everything else worth it.


If I went back in time I’m pretty sure I would make the same choices to join the ODBFB a second time. Though…….I would probably try to warn people about Bowser vs Ganon or Ben vs Hal. As well as avoid adding certain people to our original discord server. #HeroesShadeWasRight

 


Anyway I know things are pretty crazy right now with Rooster Teeth shutting down. I myself did not know about the shut down until the morning it was announced. In fact I only found out marginally before the public twitter posts. Manny others where seemingly not as fortunate. Luckily my own finances were never dependent on the company, but I feel bad for anyone else's who was.


I would still say to stay positive atm. I know there’s a lot of dooming, but I think it's important right now to not jump the gun. Particularly given that a lot of people behind the show obviously still want to continue it and probably see those comments.


Anyway I’ll finish off on this.




2 comments:

  1. There's got to be a way to prevent Death Battle from Shutting down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ultraguy, I don't want to say goodbye, you guys still have to do a ton of fights. I don't want to end it here.

      Delete