Friday, October 7, 2022

Evaluating the Strengths of Blaze the Cat's matchups

 "The following is a fan-made blog, whose opinion is only those involved in its writing. It is not officially endorsed by Rooster Teeth Productions or a representative of the views of the Death Battle staff at large."

Since we just had a Sonic fight I figured I'd entertain my thoughts on other Sonic fights. In particular Blaze and her matchups. To try and stay non-partial I'm mainly going to talk about what I like about each match, rather than any potential counterarguments to doing them.

 Vs Sailor Mars

I think this match has the strongest connections overall. The idea of “ magic fire princesses” sworn to protect a kingdom (the Sol dimension kingdom vs the moon Kingdom), is an idea that seems cool to me. I also feel like it’s probably the most even-ish out of all of Blaze’s potential opponents. One of the issues with a lot of Sonic fight ideas is that if they don't win in their base form, then they probably stomps in their superforms. But Sonic Superforms and Sailor Moon characters are “roughly” in that same ballpark of power, so the fight between these two could likely go either way. I can also see the large amounts of powers on Mars’ side potentially allowing for some good animation potential.


Vs Starfire

I think this is probably the most “mainstream” Blaze matchup. The connections are similar to the Sailor Mars idea, with both being “ royal fire princesses”. I think the biggest strength here is mostly the energy and personality that Starfire herself brings to a fight. Granted I'll say I think most people imagine her characterization in a potential battle being more in line with the 2003 cartoon than the original comics.  Starfire herself is also under researched as a whole, so I’m curious how strong she actually is when put under a critical eye.


Vs Rivet

This is a pretty new Idea, but I’m pretty fond of it. Instead of the connection being “fire princesses' , the connection is that both Blaze/Rivet are alternate universe counterparts to their series main protagonists(Sonic and Ratchet respectively). Out of every potential opponent I would definitely say that Rivet definitely has the most “stuff” to talk about, probably making her the most fun to actually analyze in a rundown. I’m also fairly certain she could probably hold her own against Blaze’s base form, though Super I’d have to look into more.  


Vs Daisy

I guess this would be another variation of Sonic vs Mario, which in itself is “generally” a strong connection. They also have the connection of being "princesses" though Daisy isn't associated with fire like a lot of Blaze's other potential opponents. Daisy is also my favorite female Mario character, so I honestly wouldn’t mind looking into her abilities. In fact it might be interesting to look at a Mario character who’s largely more in the background of the series.


-----------------------------------

Anyway what do you guys think? Who do you think Blaze should fight?


7 comments:

  1. This might seem a bit controversial, but really, out of all of these, I don't think there's really a bad one, per se. I'll admit that, depending on my mood, I'd probably end up watching Blaze VS Starfire more for Starfire than Blaze, but again, that's just my mood.

    Daisy would honestly be the most unique matchup out of the four, and definitely the oddball pick here, but she's also one of my favorite Mario characters too, and I'd have no problem with her getting her own episode. Even if I do kinda like Daisy VS Sally Acorn too.

    I don't know as much about Sailor Mars or Rivet, but from what I've been told and from reading this, both could very easily work. I wouldn't really be mad if either of those happened, though I still think Rivet needs a bit more information in order to make it seem more fair, even if Blaze only has a couple of games.

    If anything, it kinda sucks that all of her opponents are all cool characters on their own, and it sucks that either Blaze or one of them would have to die, but that's just the nature of VS Matchups, I suppose. I still lean towards Blaze VS Starfire due to it being the one I saw the most for Blaze, but with the possible exception of Daisy, I could see all of these matchups working for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not an MU you've mentioned, but Dirk Strider from Homestuck is probably my favorite, it's generally a very fun overall Blaze Matchup, the alternate universe versions of heroes (Sonic for Blaze, Dave for Dirk), who are both royalty (Blaze a princess, Dirk a prince) that have polar opposite personalities and wield fire as their main weapon (Pyrokinesis for Blaze, and Fire Aspect for Dave). Realistically you'd have to use Archie Blaze for her to stand a chance statistically though, considering how absolutely insane of a verse Homestuck is, and even then, I'm pretty sure Dirk still takes it. It could also introduce a new episode to the show, but that's kind of the biggest issue with the MU, I have no idea if HS is a verse you guys would even consider. I haven't done a full dive into reading it yet either but I've heard it's notoriously complex as well.

    I think Rivet is Game Blaze's best MU. She stacks up the best against her Base Form and could arguably hang in against her Super Form for a little bit, she likely has some MFTL+ reactions off of her spaceship piloting. Depending on if you give her the Dimensionator or not, she likely won't be able to put down Burning Blaze though. Even then, I'm pretty certain a Super Form far surpasses the Dimensionator's gradual uni-busting. It'd be really nice to see Ratchet & Clank revisited with the modern DB approach, the verse hasn't been on the show since Ratchet v Jak. It seems like a solid Sonic win, but not one that would be a complete blowout, there's a bit of a debate here and a lot of fun animation potential due to Rivet's varied arsenal.

    I think Blaze vs Daisy is... pretty terrible honestly, its probably the weakest Mario v Sonic matchup overall in terms of connections and animation potential imo, and Daisy seems just way out of her league. Her getting scaling to the main cast is just... questionable.

    Blaze vs Starfire is neat and all, but I'm pretty certain it wouldn't end up any different to most other DC Herald fights, and would likely lead to more jokes about the DC Slaughterhouse.

    Blaze vs Sailor Mars seems nice, but I think Sailor Mars is one of the better options for Reimu Hakurei from Touhou, if you guys are considering that verse at all. Reimu does have Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo and I guess Dr. Strange as alternate choices, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've come to like Rivet myself.

      Delete
    2. Sorry pal, but the DC slaughterhouse is where she belongs lol

      Delete
  3. Sailor Mars- would be very nice to see another Sailor Character In the show and I can see her vibing well with blaze

    Starfire- on one hand not a fan of feeding Blaze to a DC character but the fight could be fun in terms of animation


    Daisy-is meh honestly. It's just another generic Sonic vs Mario MU and not even one of the better ones to do

    Rivet- I wanted up to this one could be fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, my personal favorite match-up for Blaze is Twilight from MLP, just because of how much I love both characters and the connections. Both are purple, animal princesses gifted with special power that caused them to grow up as anti-social loners. But when their worlds were threatened, they went on an adventure to collect a set of MacGuffins (the Sol Emeralds and the Elements of Harmony) and reluctantly teamed up with the rest of the cast of their series in order to find them. They warmed up to them over time, and when the villains seemingly rendered the MacGuffins useless and all hope seemed lost, they realized their new allies were indeed their friends and it was through that friendship that reignited the MacGuffins and unlocked their true power and saved the world. And thanks to Twilight's various spells and magical powers, it has some good animation potential.

    But, not only is this not a very popular match-up, but Twilight was already used, so this has a snowball's chance in hell of happening (sucks, 'cuz it's my second most wanted episode T_T). As for the MU's listed here, Blaze vs Daisy sucks, the connections are weak and it has less potential than her other options. Blaze vs Starfire is alright, but it's yet another DC herald stomping, which nobody wants or needs. Blaze vs Rivet could be fun, but I know jack about Ratchet and Clank, so I can't really comment. Blaze vs Mars, I actually like. I got into Sailor Moon rather recently, the connections make sense, and it has a lot of potential. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete